Friday, February 6, 2009

V-Day cookie tins at Fred Flare

Ahoy! I just got home from the Japanther show at the Bell House in Gowanus (Bklyn) where I was wheelin' and deelin' cookies and cupcakes. There were a lot of young folks there (like teenagers) who were vegan (I know because they would drool over the chocolate chip pecan toffee cookies and lemon buttermilk cupcakes and say, "are these vegan?"). I was a vegetarian when I was thirteen, and until my pediatrician made my mom force feed me some chicken soup, it felt like the right thing to do. I was disciplining myself, testing my boundaries, and even being a little rebellious. But now, 15 years later (I'm dating myself), I look at these young kids who won't eat a cookie because it has eggs in it and I feel weird. Just eat the damn cookie and get on with it, lad!  Youth: 'tis an awkward and glorious thing. [p.s. totally not dissing veganism or vetetarianism here- I just have a fascination with teenage rebellion.)




















Now onto the reason I'm actually blogging. In my last post I mentioned that my buds over at Fredflare.com will have specially designed Valentines Day cookie tins available on their website for the week leading up to the big day of LOVE. They put the tin on their site today, and I just love the cute little photos they took of the tins and each of the goodies inside of them. Now that I've become much more interested in food photography, I'm wondering what I can do to take better pictures of my goodies without spending a ton of cash on a digi SLR camera and a proper flash. I have a really nice film camera, but alas, all analog signals have gone digital in my world. Unless my boyfriend gives me a mix tape on Valentines Day.  I don't post images of my goodies that often because I usually bake in the afternoon and/or evening, which is not the best kind of lighting for making sweets look yummy.  They just look like they're having their mug shot taken. 

But look at these beauties!















 





You can find the tins and purchase them here. They're $20 and the shipping is expedited at no additional cost (you still have to pay ground though I think.)  The tins include yummy ginger brownies, sweet and sour chocolate cherry cookies, and really delicious heart-shaped sugar cookies with royal icing (it's my boyfriend's mom's recipe- we make christmas cookies every year and I eat two of them for every one I frost.)  

Yum!  Take a look!

xo Tracy




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw it on one of the morning talk shows, and I was a second too late; it sold out :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn: which morning talk show did you see the cookie tins on? I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey hey Tracey
    Was checking out Frankie's interview and scrolled down to read other posts. Most vegan's aren't doin' it out of teenage rebellion. Heck I'm 35. There are lots of vegan folks out there, why not make one kind of treat that is vegan every once in a while so they can give you their $ for some treats?
    Lots of love to you,
    Hanna of Little Cakes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hanna! I was commenting on being a teenager and choosing serious limits for yourself at such a young age. A lot of my friends were straight edge growing up, and I think it's interesting to test your boundaries by limiting yourself instead of going buck-wild, which is what most teenagers do. And I WILL be making a vegan carrot cake this weekend for the FEAST event (Funding Emerging Art with Sustainable Tactics) in Greenpoint. Thanks for checking out the blog!

    ReplyDelete