Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I Heart Art at WORK gallery


















The bake sale at WORK gallery was radder than rad. I was supporting a benefit event for WORK gallery and The Wassaic Project (organized by Eve Biddle, Bowie Zunio and Elan Bogarin) which hosted a silent auction where donated artworks were being sold/auctioned below $60. The place was packed like a can of sardines, but they kept the hot toddies flowin', the art sparklin', and the conversation roarin'. Hopefully the sugar I was providing for the crowd helped with all of that also.


















I was really proud of this bake sale and the goodies I laid out on the table. The menu included Southern Lovers' Hummingbird Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting (this is traditionally a southern confection, but somehow we have a family recipe for this cake even though the northern European side of my fam has roots in the Pennsylvania Dutch country- it was probably out of my Gram's "Women's Cookbook" or passed around by friends), my Spicy Dark Chocolate Ginger Brownies that are slowly becoming famous (I adapted this recipe from a family brownie recipe), Homemade Cinnamon-Sugar and Powdered Sugar Glazed Donut Holes (my family never made donuts- this was from a recipe I found online), and Smores Kits- there was a hobo fire outside of the gallery, so guests could grab graham crackers, Ghirardelli
Chocolate (Milk or Dark), and Campfire Marshmallows on skewers and go freak out with a taste sensation by the fire.




















It was really a lot of fun, and didn't even notice that I had been standing for four hours straight until I sat down to my (very special) Valentines Day Dinner that night. Apparently the yoga I have been practicing is helping my mal-aligned back (hopefully it will also take off the extra poundage I have put on in the past year from sitting behind a bake sale table every week?).

I can't wait to do more bake sales with the girls from Wassaic, especially in the summer at their rad weekend-long multi-disciplinary arts festival in Wassaic (duh), upstate NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment